I'll get it all down on paper. Someday.


Friday 18 March 2011

Uncharacteristically Goodtimes.

Most days that begin with throwing your alarm clock across the room in a fit of general indifference don't tend to get better with time; but it has to be said today turned out swell. So, like pissing by candlelight and finding yourself transfixed by the surprisingly generous shadow on the bathroom wall let me take a little time just to admire my Friday and, quite honestly, boast...

It began when I appeared at university to be met not only by one of my head mentors, but also praise. A collage piece of graphic fiction that I'd handed over only yesterday had gotten a sudden reaction and been passed onto her (her colleague and her family!) and had been much loved. So much so that I was told to do more. It was a piece I'd thrown together from this week's newspaper clippings about the much reported Japanese shitstorm. It wasn't insensitive, honest, more satirical and more about poking fun at the UK's media. Anyway, I got a lovely ego boost from it. Let me just say first of all that that just does not happen to me very often. So that was nice.
After that I had a really good, strong cup of coffee from the uni canteen. Let me just say first of all that that just does not happen to me very often. So that was nice too.

Next I got some genuinely inspirational networking and business-minded advice from Adrian Mead (writer, director and David Morrissey look-a-like) who was in giving us writers a lecture on just that. He not only managed to keep us all entertained for an entire Friday morning (no mean feat, let me tell you) but also present what could only be described as a "motivational talk" which even included heinous crimes against metaphor such as: "swimming in the sea of me" without sounding like a complete and utter cockrot tool.

Some of that networking advice was put to good use with our second guest lecture. The "genuinely nice bloke" and 2000AD artist for the past twenty five years Colin MacNeil came in for a chat about writer/artist collaborations and brought in some gorgeous artwork from one of his latest runs on Judge Dredd for us to drool over (fear not, Kleenex was on hand so there was no smudging). Afterwards, I put my new handshaking skills into practice and promised to buy him a pint at the next comic-con I happen to ee him at. I'd be a fool not to keep to that. He's certainly a contact I shouldn't ignore.

I assumed that was where todays greatness would end. We'd finish up, I'd head home, probably have a nap, or a wank, or wait until later in the evening so I could then watch the Red Nose Day Doctor Who skit on repeat and then have a wank over the two Amy Ponds that have been promised by the tv mags and online forums and then have a nap...

But there's one more slice of fried gold.
My mentor's comments on the aforementioned collage came as a bit of a surprise. Even after this mornings compliment I didn't expect: "a Chris Morris level of scathing social commentary and satire..." "a stunning piece of work" "awesome" "ridiculously offensive" or, my personal favourite "if this goes online you better be prepared to be burned at the stake. Only, knowing you, you'd probably just use it to light a cigarette."

So I'll get it online as soon as I can. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hurry up and get it posted, Aly, I want to show it to Kristi!