I'll get it all down on paper. Someday.


Monday 26 May 2008

The Telectroscope - Steampunk Public Art Installation...





For those of you who aren't into checking up on these sort of things I feel it necessary to point this out to you all. Many because I'm in love with all things steampunk at the moment (ever since I came up with the idea to add a pedal power light with cogs and sprockets added to my spokes on my bicycle) but also because it's the only piece of modern, public-space, interactive sculpture that I've actually fallen for in a while.

The Telectroscope has two stories:

1) Started in the 1880's by the great inventor Alexander St. George, a giant tunnel was constructed beneath the earth's crust to connect New York and London by a series of mirrors. After several accidents the telectroscope was abandoned... until recently when artist Robert St. George discovered these long forgotten plans and finally completed the tunnels construction.

2) Using wireless technology and a bunch of electronical gubbins passer-bys can look through the telectrscope at either end and see live footage from the other end allowing people to communicate (albeit through the medium of whiteboards and sign language) on different sides of the Atlantic. Basically, a public web-conference.

Geeeenius. Just look:





Tada! Links! -

No comments: